Our students come in many sizes, ages 4 to adult
Do you prefer a private violin, viola, cello or double bass lesson? The School for Strings has both full-time and part-time teachers so we can offer lessons every weekday from early afternoon through the evening. Thus we have the ability to offer most families lesson schedules that meet their needs.
We provide private lessons of 30, 45 and 60 minutes. Most beginning students take 30 minute non certificate lessons once a week.
We offer individual, or private, lessons in both our Certificate and Non-Certificate Programs.
School for Strings teachers have wide back grounds in teaching methods. Our students include 4-years old through beginning and advanced adults. As every student comes with an individual set of skills and readiness, our teachers have a huge library of methods, materials and repertoire to meet the needs of all our violin, viola, cello and double bass students.
We ask that parents of very young students attend lessons with their children but we encourage all parents to come as often as possible to better understand their children's progress and better assist them with their home practice.
Read below to learn about our Certificate and Non-certificate private lessons.
We love family participation!
School for Strings Non-Certificate Program
We provide a "lessons only " option for our students in our Non-Certificate Program. Students come weekly for their private lesson. Tuition is based on our 12-week terms. However, we also offer our Non-Certificate Program beginning students the opportunity to also participate in a one hour, bi-weekly written musicianship class. All students need to develop not only technical skills on their instruments but also their knowledge of how music is written, rhythmic values, scales, keys. For students who do not participate in the bi-weekly musicianship classes, our teachers will cover this material as needed during their individual lesson. Our group musicianship classes allow our teachers to focus more on teaching our students the mechanics of playing their instruments. Besides, all students greatly enjoy the interaction with other students during the musicianship classes. Advancing students in our Non Certificate Program have the option of also registering separately for Musicianship/Fiddle Club &/or Orchestra.
Click here for pricing Click here to register
School for Strings Certificate Program
After an initial period, beginning students generally move into our Certificate Program. Private lessons for all Certificate Program students follow the United States nationally adopted guidelines for string teaching set down in the American Strings Teachers Association Certificate Advancement Program.
Our Certificate Program includes:
- 1. Weekly individual lessons of 30, 45 or 60 minutes
- 2. Participation in one of our Youth Orchestras (Corelli or Festivo) that meet weekly during the academic year.
- 3. Our full Musicianship Program including Fiddle Club, with classes meeting bi-weekly during the academic year and weekly during the summer. During the school year students have 1 hour classes focusing on written music and 1.5 hours practicum (called Fiddle Club) developing ear training, improvisation, key and chord recognition while playing.
- 4. Fiddle Club only meets for 90 minutes during summer.
- 5. Annual progress evaluations through solo performance, technical skills with scales and etudes or studies, knowledge of written theory, sight playing, sight singing, and ear training.
- 6. Opportunity to participate in one of our Chamber Ensembles: Trios, Quartets, etc. Click here for pricing Click here to register